Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day at Moma

So after 2days of mahj I needed some intellectual stimulation. So "cousin Judy. " and I headed for lunch and an afternoon at Moma. Restaurant choice was left to me Oh Oh . So...I chose Menchanko -Tei which is a noodle place on West 55 Th between 5 Th and 6 Th The restaurant is long and narrow and we found it crowded with people waiting for take out and tables for lunch. Our wait wasnt too long and we were led way way to the back of the restaurant -and I mean way back -even past the restrooms. the good thing was that the air-conditioning was better at the back!!! The fragrances of the noodle dishes made our mouths water and it was everything I could do to restrain myself as people were eagerly slurping up their noodles.We decided to order 2 dishes which could easily have fed 4 !!! We ordered the original Menchanko. I can still taste it in my memory. This hot noodle dish is served in a cast iron bowl. Thick ramen noodles are hanging out in a soy broth with chicken,2huge shrimp,fish balls,tofu,rice cake and veggies. Need I say more- mouthwatering We also order a cold noodle dish called Tsuke Men Miso This was equally delicious. Thick ramen noodles topped with grilled chicken,boiled egg,spinach,bamboo shoots,and leeks with a spicy brown sauce . And lunch for 2 under $20. By the way the staff was friendly and informative. Will keep this on the list. On to Moma. Modern art isn't a favorite but always enjoy Water Lilies by Monet -a bit of respite in a crazy world. we also walked thru the very popular exhibit Talk to Me: Design and the Communication between People and Objects. Way over my head -just too old I guess .The mostly young people there were very enthusiastic !! I guess I missed it. All computer related . Relaxed in The outdoor sculpture garden with an iced coffee. Company in from Atlanta in the evening and we went to Vespa for dinner-an Italian farm to table restaurant on second between 84 Th and 85 Th. they have a especially appealing outdoor garden in the back which totally removes you from the hustle and bustle of the city.While the food was good the service was awful and would probably not go back.However , did have one appetizer that was outstanding -grilled zucchini with mint -delicious marriage of flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment